The people behind the Burning Man festival are now considering requiring attendees to prove that they have been vaccinated for COVID-19. Although the worldwide situation of the pandemic is improving, the organizers may have to include this requirement if they want to move forward with this year’s event celebration in the Nevada desert.
After a period of thinking about this matter, the organizers decided to make the shots mandatory. Although the decision is not final, and they won’t decide for sure until the end of the month, vaccines will play an important role in this event. Last month, the organization shared messages like the following ones:
“Vaccines will be required to come to Burning Man. We are weighing the gravity of what that does. And we know that challenges the concept of ‘radical inclusion. And we know that challenges the concept of ‘radical inclusion.”
On top of that, Goodell added: “We hear you. The question of vaccines and how to basically require them, and even from a logistical standing, frankly — all of that, we’re taking a look at.”
Burning Man Reconsiders COVID-19 Vaccines As Part of The Admission Policy
This statement arrives after the organization assesses the risks of the festival taking place. On top of that, the annual event draws more than 80,000 people. Besides, Goodell clarified that organizers are working on formulating their own guidelines on mandatory vaccinations as part of the health and safety plan. This plan must be submitted to state and county officials and then approved. She said civic responsibility is an important part of organizers’ guiding principles but that they realize people in some countries haven’t had access to vaccines, nor have most children.
“That’s not quite figured out yet. There are plenty of people that are challenging whether it is necessary. We hear you. The question of vaccines and how to basically require them, and even from a logistical standing, frankly — all of that, we’re taking a look at.”
Although Goodell said organizers did not decide whether to require or provide testing at the event, they hope to reach a decision by the end of this week. Whatever their decision is, they will release a statement before April 30.
“At this point, the government agencies involved in collaborating with us have been really super supportive and super helpful. They are not putting up any roadblocks. We are all looking at the resources to have to make it happen and get this done,”