2 United States soldiers are charged with selling a young woman ecstasy that led to her death at Electric Zoo. The buyer, who was not identified in court papers, overdosed that day and died two days later. Tanner Howell bought 57 capsules of molly for $560 from Lagaria Slaughter. Then the stash of drugs was given to two female friends and the overdosed victim outside of the venue. Additionally, authorities conducted a search in Slaughter’s barracks and found 10 capsules of ecstasy, 55 doses of LSD and drug packaging materials in April, according to prosecutors. Also, text messages on his phone allegedly showed that he has sold molly on the Army base to other members. Supposedly, Slaughter’s drug operations extended from beginning in May 2018 through March 2019. They are stationed at Fort Drum, New York near the US-Canada border.
Unfortunately, drugs and alcohol incidents aren’t new to the rave scene or new to Electric Zoo. Back in 2013, two ecstasy overdoses led New York to cancel the final day of Electric Zoo.
“Lagaria Slaughter and Tanner Howell supplied the dangerous drug Molly to a young concert-goer, who overdosed and died after using Molly and other drugs. Tragically, this is not the first time my Office has charged people in connection with the overdose death of a concert-goer at the Electric Zoo festival,” Manhattan U.S. Attorney Geoffrey Berman said.
So Slaughter, who is an Army specialist, faces up to 4o years for conspiracy and possession with intent to sell. Howell, a private first class faces up to 20 years for possession with intent to distribute. The soldiers both received a $100,000 bond and are expected to return to Fort Drum. Their attorneys have not made any statements.