UPDATE: The festival has come forward with their own statement, sent to ticketholders this morning. It reads:

Dear CRSSD Community,

We have been actively monitoring the ever-evolving coronavirus situation since the festival – last night it was officially relayed to us by local health authorities that two people who attended CRSSD Festival have tested positive for coronavirus. We wanted to contact you as soon as this was confirmed.

These individuals are believed to have contracted the virus outside the festival, and currently no cases have been noted to have originated at CRSSD.

We want everyone in our community to stay safe and healthy, please practice social distancing and follow the directions and guidelines from national and local health authorities.

San Diego health officials asked us to direct you to www.coronavirus-sd.com for the latest information.

Stay safe, with love CRSSD

CRSSD Festival moved forward with their event last weekend in San Diego amidst concerns surrounding COVID-19, serving as a dancefloor mecca for house and techno lovers. However, the San Diego Union Tribune confirmed that two individuals whom attended the event have tested positive for coronavirus.

Dr. Eric McDonald, medical director of San Diego County’s epidemiology and immunization services branch, shared:

Contact-tracing investigations have found that a total of two people with known COVID-19 attended the concert. One was known to have traveled to a country where a coronavirus outbreak is ongoing while the second got sick after attending the event, he said. Given that it takes three to five days for symptoms to appear after infection, the executive said it is likely that the infection occurred before the event, not during it.

In an attempt to see a silver lining amidst this global pandemic, we’re at least happy to hear that one of the individuals did not pick up the virus at CRSSD. Rumors circulating Reddit and Twitter shared that he – an SDSU student – had previously traveled to Italy and then attended the event. It’s sad to hear that he chose to risk the safety of thousands after traveling to a known outbreak country.

Business As Usual

San Diego County’s public health officer, Dr. Wilma Wooten, allowed events to continue last weekend since there were no reported cases in San Diego at the time. Other events across the state and country went on as usual as well, including the Los Angeles Marathon and Okeechobee.

The CDC’s urging to cancel large gatherings did not come until the following Monday.

Taking Precautionary Measures

CRSSD also took extra precautions to ensure everyone’s health and safety. This included extra hand sanitizer at the bathrooms and cashless payment options at the bars. Unfortunately, the one variable out of the event’s control was their attendees, not knowing where they had come from, or to whom they had been exposed prior.

CRSSD has been in contact with San Diego County regarding next steps for their attendees. At this time, no one is known to have caught the virus at the event.

San Diego County has now reported 60 COVID cases. Be safe out there, and please wash your hands.

H/T San Diego Union Tribute